The Mayo Nephrology Collaborative Group (MNCG) develops and conducts studies of renal parenchymal diseases, including membranous nephropathy. The MNCG is a consortium of nephrologists from Mayo Clinic campuses in Minnesota, Florida and Arizona and from other centers across the United States.
Mayo Clinic has conducted clinical studies evaluating the feasibility and effectiveness of rituximab (Rituxan) in treating membranous nephropathy. A randomized trial comparing the drug with calcineurin inhibitors (cyclosporine and tacrolimus) is planned. Mayo researchers are also studying the role of a variety of antibodies in membranous nephropathy.
Mayo is also evaluating the use of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) in the treatment of membranous nephropathy. Recent European studies have shown that treatment with synthetic ACTH is highly effective in reducing proteinuria in people who have membranous nephropathy with minimal side effects. Mayo is looking to confirm these findings in U.S. patients.
See a list of publications on membranous nephropathy by Mayo doctors on PubMed.
Oct. 12, 2011
- Appel GB. Glomerular disorders and nephrotic syndromes. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Fervenza FC, et al. Idiopathic membranous nephropathy: Diagnosis and treatment. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2008;3:905.
- Swaminathan S, et al. Changing incidence of glomerular disease in Olmsted County, Minnesota: A 30-year renal biopsy study. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2006;1:483.
- Beck LH, et al. Causes and diagnosis of membranous nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/causes-and-diagnosis-of-membranous-nephropathy. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Cattran D. Treatment of idiopathic membranous nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/treatment-of-idiopathic-membranous-nephropathy. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Coping effectively: A guide to living well with kidney failure. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/coping.pdf. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- What is proteinuria? National Kidney & Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/proteinuria/. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Fervenza FC, et al. Rituximab therapy in idiopathic membranous nephropathy: A 2-year study. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2010;5:2188.
- Fervenza FC, et al. Rituximab in idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Kidney International. 2008;73:117.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.