The Mayo Nephrology Collaborative Group (MNCG) develops and conducts studies of renal parenchymal diseases, including membranous nephropathy. The MNCG is a consortium of nephrologists from Mayo Clinic campuses in Minnesota, Florida and Arizona and from other centers across the United States.
Mayo Clinic has conducted clinical studies evaluating the feasibility and effectiveness of rituximab (Rituxan) in treating membranous nephropathy. A randomized trial comparing the drug with the calcineurin inhibitor cyclosporine is underway. Mayo researchers are also studying the role of a variety of antibodies in membranous nephropathy.
Mayo is also evaluating the use of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) in the treatment of membranous nephropathy. Recent European studies have shown that treatment with synthetic ACTH is highly effective in reducing proteinuria with minimal side effects in people who have membranous nephropathy. Mayo is looking to confirm these findings in U.S. patients.
See a list of publications on membranous nephropathy by Mayo doctors on PubMed.
Oct. 21, 2014
- Gilbert SJ, et al. National Kidney Foundation's Primer on Kidney Diseases. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA.: Elsevier/Saunders; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 14, 2014.
- Cattran DC. Treatment of idiopathic membranous nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 14, 2014.
- Beck LH, et al. Causes and diagnosis of membranous nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 14, 2014.
- Nephrotic syndrome in adults. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NKUDIC). http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/nephrotic/. Accessed Aug. 28, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 27, 2014.
- Herrmann SMS, et al. Membranous nephropathy: The start of a paradigm shift. Current opinion in nephrology and hypertension. 2012;21:203.
- Glomerular filtration rate (GFR). National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/gfr.cfm. Accessed Sept. 3, 2014.
- Hogan J, et al. Diagnostic tests and treatment options in glomerular disease: 2014 update. American Journal of Kidney Diseases. 2014;63:656.
- Hofstra JM, et al. Treatment of idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Nature Reviews Nephrology. 2013;9:443.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2014.
- Fervenza FC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 6, 2014.
- Anti-PLA2R assay guidance. The Renal Association. http://rarerenal.org/clinician-information/membranous-nephropathy-clinician-information/anti-pla2r-assay-guidance/. Accessed Sept. 15, 2014.