Membranous nephropathy usually develops gradually, so people often don't notice anything wrong. As you lose more protein from your blood, you may notice swelling in your legs and ankles and weight gain from excess fluid. Some people experience lots of swelling from the very beginning of the disease. Most people do not have any severe symptoms until their kidney disease is advanced. Signs and symptoms include:
- Swelling in the legs and ankles
- Weight gain
- Poor appetite
- Trouble sleeping
- Increased urination, especially at night
- Blood clots
- Frothy urine
When to see a doctor
If you notice blood in your urine or swelling in your legs and ankles, or if your blood pressure goes up, you should see a doctor.
Oct. 12, 2011
- Appel GB. Glomerular disorders and nephrotic syndromes. In: Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Fervenza FC, et al. Idiopathic membranous nephropathy: Diagnosis and treatment. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2008;3:905.
- Swaminathan S, et al. Changing incidence of glomerular disease in Olmsted County, Minnesota: A 30-year renal biopsy study. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2006;1:483.
- Beck LH, et al. Causes and diagnosis of membranous nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/causes-and-diagnosis-of-membranous-nephropathy. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Cattran D. Treatment of idiopathic membranous nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/contents/treatment-of-idiopathic-membranous-nephropathy. Accessed June 9, 2011.
- Coping effectively: A guide to living well with kidney failure. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/coping.pdf. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- What is proteinuria? National Kidney & Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/proteinuria/. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Fervenza FC, et al. Rituximab therapy in idiopathic membranous nephropathy: A 2-year study. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2010;5:2188.
- Fervenza FC, et al. Rituximab in idiopathic membranous nephropathy. Kidney International. 2008;73:117.