- Diagnostic expertise. Marfan syndrome can be difficult to diagnose, but early diagnosis and careful monitoring are key to managing related complications. In Mayo Clinic's team approach, doctors from several specialties work together to confirm the diagnosis of Marfan syndrome, evaluate your symptoms and set up a treatment plan.
- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose and treat hundreds of adults and children with Marfan syndrome and related disorders. Mayo Clinic surgeons have extensive experience in Marfan-related heart and aortic surgery.
- Research. Mayo Clinic researchers have been involved in studies of diagnosis and treatment approaches for Marfan syndrome for years. Mayo patients are among the first to benefit from new findings made at Mayo.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Feb. 01, 2013
- Questions and answers about Marfan syndrome. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/marfan_syndrome. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Wright MJ, et al. Genetics, clinical features and diagnosis of Marfan syndrome and related disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Wright MJ, et al. Management of Marfan syndrome and related disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Marfan syndrome. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Bowen JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2013.
- Wright MJ, et al. Pregnancy and Marfan syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Fuster V, ed. et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
- Living with Marfan syndrome: Children and teens. National Marfan Foundation. http://www.marfan.org/marfan/2493/Children-and-Teens. Accessed Nov. 29, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.