Evidence is still limited on whether — or how much — herbs or supplements might help increase male fertility. None of these supplements treats a specific underlying cause of infertility, such as a sperm duct defect or chromosomal disorder. Some supplements might help only if you have a deficiency.
Supplements with studies showing potential benefits on improving sperm count or quality include:
- Alpha-lipoic acid
- L-acetyl carnitine
- Co-enzyme Q10
- Folic acid
- N-acetyl cysteine
- Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Vitamins A, C, D and E
Talk with your doctor before taking dietary supplements to review the risks and benefits of this therapy, as some supplements taken in high doses (megadoses) or for extended periods of time might be harmful.
Aug. 11, 2015
- Diagnostic evaluation of the infertile male: A committee opinion. Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Fertility and Sterility. 2015;103:e18.
- Strauss JF, et al. Male infertility. In: Yen & Jaffe's Reproductive Endocrinology. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Jameson JL, et al. Clinical management of male infertility. In: Endocrinology: Adult and Pediatric. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Male infertility. Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/male-infertility. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Swerdloff RS, et al. Evaluation of male infertility. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Diagnostic testing for male factor infertility. American Society for Reproductive Medicine. http://www.reproductivefacts.org/publications/index.aspx?id=76. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Swerdloff RS, et al. Causes of male infertility. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Wang C, et al. Treatment of male infertility. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 19, 2015.
- Du Plessis SS, et al. The importance of diet, vitamins, malnutrition, and nutrient deficiencies in male infertility. In: Male Infertility: A Complete Guide to Lifestyle and Environmental Factors. New York, NY; Springer Science and Business Media. 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 22, 2015.
- Trost LW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 24, 2015.