What can mindfulness exercises do for you? Get the facts.
Tests and diagnosis
Learn the benefits and limitations of breast exams, which can help increase your breast familiarity. Greater awareness may help you catch potentially dangerous changes.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Mammography can lead to detection of breast cancer at its earliest and most treatable stage.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Sentinel node biopsy is a procedure used to determine if cancer has spread to your lymph nodes.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
Find out what to expect as you prepare for chemotherapy treatment.
Hormone therapy for breast cancer is used to treat breast cancers that are sensitive to hormones.
Mastectomy — surgical removal of all breast tissue in one or both breasts — is an effective treatment for many types of breast cancer.
Radiation therapy is a common means of treating many types of cancer. Find out what to expect during your radiation therapy treatment.
Feb. 25, 2012
- Male breast cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/malebreast/patient. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Johansen Taber KA, et al. Male breast cancer: Risk factors, diagnosis and management. Oncology Reports. 2010;24:1115.
- Gomez-Raposo C, et al. Male breast cancer. Cancer Treatment Reviews. 2010;36:451.
- Brain K, et al. Psychological distress in men with breast cancer. American Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2006;24:95.
- Distress management. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.