Experience. Mayo Clinic eye doctors (ophthalmologists) have extensive experience, treating more than 3,540 people with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) each year. Ophthalmologists trained in retinal diseases evaluate and treat people with macular degeneration.
Staff at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota treats more than 2,000 people with macular degeneration each year. At Mayo Clinic in Florida, more than 870 people are treated each year. More than 670 people are treated each year at Mayo Clinic in Arizona.
- Team approach. Ophthalmologists work with other specialists to design a treatment plan to meet your needs. The goal is to improve your quality of life by preserving as much eyesight as possible and preventing further deterioration of your vision. Ophthalmologists at Mayo Clinic have the advantage of rapid consultation with other specialists within Mayo Clinic when needed.
- Latest diagnostic tests. Mayo Clinic doctors use the latest technology to diagnose AMD, including imaging tests such as fluorescein angiography, indocyanine green angiography, fundus autofluorescence and optical coherence tomography.
- Advanced treatments. Mayo Clinic offers the most advanced treatments for AMD. For example, treatment for wet AMD may include the injection of a medication directly into the eye to shrink and decrease leakage from abnormal blood vessels, an intravenous injection of a medication that is activated in the macula using a special laser beam (photodynamic therapy), or a different type of laser surgery that destroys the abnormal blood vessels under the retina (laser therapy).
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked high performing for ophthalmology by U.S. News & World Report.
Sept. 19, 2015
- Facts about age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts.asp. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- What is age-related macular degeneration? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd.cfm. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Arroyo JG. Age-related macular degeneration: Epidemiology, etiology, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Macular degeneration symptoms. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd-symptoms.cfm. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Who is at risk for macular degeneration? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd-risk.cfm. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Arroyo JG. Age-related macular degeneration: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Macular degeneration diagnosis. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd-diagnosis.cfm. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Macular degeneration treatment. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd-treatment.cfm. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Primo SA. Implantable miniature telescope: Lessons learned. Optometry. 2010;81:86.
- Evans JR, et al. Antioxidant vitamin and mineral supplements for preventing age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2012;6:CD000253. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000253.pub3/abstract. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Johnson EJ. Age-related macular degeneration and antioxidant vitamins: Recent findings. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 2010;13:28.
- Macular degeneration and low vision. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd-low-vision.cfm. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.
- Chiu CJ, et al. Dietary carbohydrate and the progression of age-related macular degeneration: A prospective study from the Age-Related Eye Disease Study. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007;86:1210.
- Low vision aids and low vision rehabilitation. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/low-vision-aids-rehabilitation.cfm. Accessed Sept. 4, 2012.
- Chong EWT, et al. Fat consumption and its association with age-related macular degeneration. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2009;127:674.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 2, 2012.
- Hughes DF. Charles Bonnet syndrome: A literature review into diagnostic criteria, treatment and implications for nursing practice. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. In Press. Accessed Aug. 29, 2012.