ComplicationsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Left untreated, Lyme disease can cause:
April 03, 2016
- Chronic joint inflammation (Lyme arthritis), particularly of the knee
- Neurological symptoms, such as facial palsy and neuropathy
- Cognitive defects, such as impaired memory
- Heart rhythm irregularities
- Lyme disease. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Hu L. Clinical manifestations of Lyme disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Hu L. Treatment of Lyme disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 28, 2015.
- Shapiro ED. Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme Disease). Pediatrics in Review. 2014;35:500.
- Bismacine/chromacine. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm150503.htm. Accessed July 28, 2015.