Mayo Clinic doctors and scientists are studying new ways to diagnose, treat and prevent lung cancer. One area of research involves studying the epidemiology and genetics of lung cancer.
Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on lung cancer on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Sept. 25, 2015
- Mark S. Allen, M.D.
- Stephen D. Cassivi, M.D.
- Eric S. Edell, M.D.
- Robert L. Foote, M.D.
- Yolanda I. Garces, M.D.
- Kurt A. Jaeckle, M.D.
- James R. Jett, M.D.
- Elizabeth A. Johnson, M.D.
- Randolph S. Marks, M.D.
- David E. Midthun, M.D.
- Julian R. Molina, M.D., Ph.D.
- Francis C. Nichols, III, M.D.
- Scott H. Okuno, M.D.
- Jann N. Sarkaria, M.D.
- Steven E. Schild, M.D.
- Sujay A. Vora, M.D.
- Dennis Wigle, M.D., Ph.D.
- Non-small cell lung cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Estimated new cancer cases and deaths by sex, U.S., 2015. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/research/cancerfactsstatistics/cancerfactsfigures2015/index. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Small cell lung cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Cancer of the lung. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- What you need to know about lung cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/wyntk-lung-cancer. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Lung cancer prevention (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/types/lung/patient/lung-prevention-pdq. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Aberle DR, et al. Reduced lung-cancer mortality with low-dose computed tomographic screening. New England Journal of Medicine. 2011;365:395.
- Detterbeck FC, et al. Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed.: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2013;143(suppl):7S.
- AskMayoExpert. Non-small cell lung cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Small cell lung cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2015.
- Cairns LM. Managing breathlessness in patients with lung cancer. Nursing Standard. 2012;27:44.
- Taking time: Support for people with cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/taking-time. Accessed Aug. 27, 2015.
- Temel JS, et al. Early palliative care for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;363:733.