DefinitionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
A woman's sexual desire naturally fluctuates over the years. Highs and lows commonly coincide with the beginning or end of a relationship or with major life changes, such as pregnancy, menopause or illness. Some antidepressants and anti-seizure medications also can cause low sex drive in women.
If you have a persistent or recurrent lack of interest in sex that causes you personal distress, you may have hypoactive sexual desire disorder — also referred to as female sexual interest/arousal disorder.
But you don't have to meet this medical definition to seek help. If you are bothered by a low sex drive or decreased sexual desire, there are lifestyle changes and sex techniques that may put you in the mood more often. Some medications may offer promise as well.
Aug. 28, 2015
- Frequently asked questions. Women's health FAQ072. Your sexual health. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Your-Sexual-Health. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Epidemiology, risk factors, and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Hoffman BL, et al. Williams Gynecology. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=399. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- McAninch JW, et al., eds. Smith & Tanagho's General Urology. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://accesssurgery.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookID=508. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Shifren JL. Sexual dysfunction in women: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Buster JE. Managing female sexual dysfunction. Fertility and Sterility, 2013; 100:905.
- FDA approves first treatment for sexual desire disorder. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm458734.htm. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.
- Addyi (prescribing information). Raleigh, N.C.: Sprout Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2015. http://www.addyi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/addyi-pi-8-18-15-FINAL2.pdf. Accessed Aug. 18, 2015.
- Sexual dysfunctions. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Aug. 25, 2015.
- Rullo J (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 25, 2015.