Addison's disease occurs when your adrenal glands produce insufficient amounts of certain important hormones. Treatment may include taking corticosteroids.
Think you have alcohol intolerance? Here's what might be causing your reaction to wine, beer or other beverages.
Amniotic fluid embolism — Overview covers definition, symptoms and treatment of this pregnancy or post-pregnancy condition.
Find out what's behind this life-threatening eating disorder and how to treat it.
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a sudden and serious lung failure that develops in people who are critically ill or have major injuries.
An arteriovenous fistula is a treatable blood vessel condition in which your blood doesn't flow normally through your capillaries. Untreated, it can lead to complications.
You may have a blood pressure test as a part of a routine doctor's appointment or to check for high blood pressure or heart disease.
Cholera causes severe diarrhea and can kill in a matter of hours, yet can be easily treated with oral or intravenous fluids.
You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Dizziness is one of the most common health concerns. However, few cases of dizziness are due to serious conditions.
Echocardiogram allows your doctor to see your heart in motion. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Egg allergy can cause a serious reaction in children and adults. Here's how to recognize egg allergy symptoms, and what to do if a severe reaction occurs.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is initiated by a rodent-carried virus that infects the lung tissues, bringing on flu-like symptoms, respiratory problems and even death.
Heat exhaustion occurs when your body overheats, usually as a result of hot, humid weather. It's preventable, but can be dangerous if not treated.
Although low levels of thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism) can leave you feeling tired and depressed, medications can help you live a normal life.
Peanut allergy can be serious. Find out what you need to know to prevent a life-threatening reaction.
Prescription drug abuse is a growing problem, especially in teens. Tips on prevention and recognizing symptoms.
Radiation sickness is the effect of high doses of radiation on the body. The severity of illness depends on how much radiation the body absorbs.
Sheehan's syndrome is a rare pituitary gland disorder that occurs in women usually as a result of severe blood loss during childbirth.
A stress test is used to diagnose coronary artery disease and heart arrhythmias, as well as guide treatment of heart disorders.
A tilt table test is used to investigate the cause of fainting (syncope).
May. 02, 2014
- Hypotension. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hyp/. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
- Low blood pressure. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/AboutHighBloodPressure/Low-Blood-Pressure_UCM_301785_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
- Kaufman H, et al. Mechanisms, causes and evaluation of orthostatic hypotension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
- Kaufman H, et al. Treatment of orthostatic and postprandial hypotension. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
- Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2014.
- NINDS Multiple system atrophy with orthostatic hypotension information page. National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/msa_orthostatic_hypotension/msa_orthostatic_hypotension.htm. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Shep SG (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 11, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.