A heart arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. Arrhythmias can be a byproduct of damage to the heart from disease or age.
Sudden death in young people is rare, but those at risk can take precautions. Find out more about the risk factors, causes and treatments.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Tests and diagnosis
Here's what to expect if you're scheduled for an EEG (electroencephalogram) — a common diagnostic test for many brain disorders, especially epilepsy.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
Nonstress test — Overview covers definition and results of this prenatal test.
Treatments and drugs
Implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) can control abnormal, life-threatening heart rhythms and prevent cardiac arrest.
A pacemaker can correct a heartbeat that's too slow. Find out the risks, results and recovery time of the procedure to implant a pacemaker.
Apr. 20, 2012
- Ackerman MJ, et al. Congenital long QT syndrome. In: Gussak I, et al. Electrical Diseases of the Heart; Genetics, Mechanisms, Treatment, Prevention. New York, N.Y.: Springer; 2008:462.
- Long QT syndrome. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/qt/qt_whatis.html. Accessed Feb. 10, 2012.
- Long QT syndrome. Heart Rhythm Society. http://www.hrsonline.org/PatientInfo/HeartRhythmDisorders/IDisorders/index.cfm. Accessed Feb. 10, 2012.
- Madias C, et al. Acquired long QT syndrome from stress cardiomyopathy is associated with ventricular arrhythmias and torsades de pointes. Heart Rhythm. 2011;8:555.
- Mauriello DA, et al. Holter monitoring in the evaluation of congenital long QT syndrome. Pacing & Clinical Electrophysiology. 2011;34:1100.
- Berul CI, et al. Acquired long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 9, 2012.
- Barsheshet A, et al. Genotype-specific QT correction for heart rate and the risk of life-threatening cardiac events in adolescents with congenital long-QT syndrome. Heart Rhythm. 2011;8:1207.
- Seslar SP, et al. Diagnosis of congenital long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed March 9, 2012.
- Anand RG, et al. The role of fish oil in arrhythmia prevention. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 2008;28:92.
- Farnsworth MM, et al. When I go in to wake them ... I Wonder: Parental perceptions about congenital long QT syndrome. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2006;18:284.