Mayo Clinic cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and others have extensive experience and expertise in diagnosing and treating people with all types of heart conditions, including long QT syndrome. Mayo doctors evaluate and treat more than 1,000 people with long QT syndrome each year.
The latest techniques and technology
Doctors in Mayo Clinic's Cardiovascular Research Center are focused on developing diagnostic tests and innovative treatments for people with cardiovascular disease.
In Mayo Clinic's Heart Rhythm Clinic, doctors work together as a multidisciplinary team to evaluate and treat people with a wide variety of heart rhythm disorders.
Nationally recognized expertise
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic Children's Center in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
With Mayo Clinic's emphasis on collaborative care, specialists at each of the campuses — Minnesota, Arizona and Florida — interact very closely with colleagues at the other campuses and the Mayo Clinic Health System.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's cardiac surgery and cardiovascular diseases departments' expertise and rankings.
July 22, 2017
- What is long QT syndrome? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/qt. Accessed Feb. 18, 2017.
- Conduction disorders. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Conduction-Disorders_UCM_302046_Article.jsp#.WLhwehiZOu4. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Seslar SP, et al. Clinical features of congenital long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2017.
- Zimetbaum PJ, et al. Genetics of congenital and acquired long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2017.
- Berul CI, et al. Acquired long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Screening (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Significance of a long QT interval (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2017.
- What is the heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hhw. Accessed Feb. 18, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Prolonged QT interval: Signs and symptoms (adult). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2017.
- Arrhythmia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arr/types. Accessed Feb. 18, 2017.
- Seslar SP, et al. Diagnosis of congenital long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 18, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Prolonged Q-T interval syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 15, 2017.
- Zimetbaum PJ, et al. Prognosis and management of congenital long QT syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2017.
- Ackerman JP, et al. The promise and peril of precision medicine: Phenotyping still matters most. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2016;91:1606.
- Aziz PF, et al. Sports participation in genotype positive children with long QT syndrome. Clinical Electrophysiology. 2015;1:62.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 10, 2017.
- Schwartz PJ, et al. Management of survivors of cardiac arrest — The importance of genetic investigation. Nature Reviews: Cardiology. 2016;13:560.
- Genetic testing. Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndromes Foundation. http://www.sads.org/living-with-sads/Insurance/Genetic-Testing#.VfB_G9iFODZ. Accessed Feb. 15, 2017.
- Mazzanti A, et al. Gene-specific therapy with mexiletine reduces arrhythmic events in patients with long QT syndrome type 3. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;67:1053.
- Fish Oil. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/food,-herbs-supplements/professional.aspx?productid=993. Accessed Feb. 21, 2017.
- Schwartz PJ, et al. Predicting the unpredictable: Drug-induced QT prolongation and torsades de pointes. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016;67:1639.
- Loar RW, et al. Sudden cardiac arrest during sex in patients with either catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia or long-QT syndrome: A rare but shocking experience. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 2015;26:300.
- Garg L, et al. The influence of pregnancy in patients with congenital long QT syndrome. Cardiology in Review. In press. Accessed Feb. 20, 2017.
- Ackerman MJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Mar. 13, 2017.
- Priori SG, et al. HRS/EHRA/APHRS Expert Consensus Statement on the Diagnosis and Management of Patients with Inherited Primary Arrhythmia Syndromes. Heart Rhythm. 2013;10:1932.
- Priori SG, et al. 2015 ESC Guidelines for the management of patients with ventricular arrhythmias and the prevention of sudden cardiac death. European Heart Journal. 2015;36:2793.
- Ackerman MJ, et al. Beta-blocker therapy for long QT syndrome and catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia: Are all beta-blockers equivalent? Heart Rhythm. 2017;14:e41.
- Fernández-Falgueras A, et al. Cardiac channelopathies and sudden death: Recent clinical and genetic advances. Biology. 2017;6:7.
- Giudicessi JR, et al. Calcium revisited: New insights into the molecular basis of long-QT syndrome. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology. 2016;9:e002480.
- Collura CA, et al. Left cardiac sympathetic denervation for the treatment of long QT syndrome and catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia using video-assisted thoracic surgery. Heart Rhythm. 2009;6:752.
- Gaba P, et al. Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator explantation for overdiagnosed or overtreated congenital long QT syndrome. Heart Rhythm. 2016;13:879.
- Desimone CV, et al. Effects on repolarization using dynamic QT interval monitoring in long-QT patients following left cardiac sympathetic denervation. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 2015;26:434.
- Johnson JN, et al. Competitive sports participation in athletes with congenital long QT syndrome. JAMA. 2012;308:765.
- Johnson JN, et al. Return to play? Athletes with congenital long QT syndrome. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2013;47:28.
- Antiel RM, et al. Quality of life after videoscopic left cardiac sympathetic denervation in patients with potentially life-threatening cardiac channelopathies/cardiomyopathies. Heart Rhythm. 2016;13:62.
- Sriram CS, et al. Malignant bileaflet mitral valve prolapse syndrome in patients with otherwise idiopathic out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013;62:222.
News, connections and conversations for your health