Tests and diagnosis
Mammography can lead to detection of breast cancer at its earliest and most treatable stage.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 15, 2014
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Breast cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Sabel MS. Atypia and lobular carcinoma in situ: High risk lesions of the breast. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Cameron JL, et al., eds. Current Surgical Therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Chen WY. Selective estrogen receptor modulators and aromatase inhibitors for breast cancer prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- SEER stat fact sheet: Breast cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/breast.html. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Moyer VA. Medications for risk reduction of primary breast cancer in women: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. Annals of Internal Medicine. Sept. 24, 2013. http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1740758. Accessed March 12, 2014.
- Visvanathan K, et al. Use of pharmacologic interventions for breast cancer risk reduction: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2013;31:2942.
- Degnim AC, et al. Surgical management of high-risk breast lesions. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2013;93:329.
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 17, 2014.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 16, 2014.
- Vogel VG, et al. Effects of tamoxifen vs raloxifene on the risk of developing invasive breast cancer and other disease outcomes: The NSABP study of tamoxifen and raloxifene (STAR) P-2 trial. JAMA. 2006;295:2727.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.