Signs and symptoms of acute liver failure may include:
- Yellowing of your skin and eyeballs (jaundice)
- Pain in your upper right abdomen
- Abdominal swelling
- A general sense of feeling unwell (malaise)
- Disorientation or confusion
When to see a doctor
Acute liver failure can develop quickly in an otherwise healthy person, and it is life-threatening. If you or someone you know suddenly develops a yellowing of the eyes or skin; tenderness in the upper abdomen; or any unusual changes in mental state, personality or behavior, seek medical attention right away.
Jul. 10, 2014
- Goldberg E, et al. Acute liver failure in adults: Etiology, clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 31, 2014.
- Goldberg E, et al. Acute liver failure in adults: Management and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 31, 2014.
- An introduction to liver care. American Liver Foundation. http://www.liverfoundation.org/education/downloads/. Accessed March 31, 2014.
- Acute liver failure. National Institutes of Health. http://livertox.nih.gov/Phenotypes_fail.html. Accessed March 31, 2014.
- Bernal W, et al. Acute liver failure. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:2525.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.