Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Whether it affects a small or large area of your body, itchy skin can be uncomfortable and persistent. Here's how to stop the itch.
A liver biopsy — removal of a small piece of tissue for viewing under a microscope — helps with diagnosis and treatment of liver problems.
Find out how this battery of blood tests helps your doctor diagnose and monitor liver disease.
Find out what to expect before and after your liver transplant.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Find out what to expect during a needle biopsy.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Changes in urine color can be alarming, but they're often harmless — the result of certain foods, supplements or medications.
Jul. 15, 2014
- Curry MP, et al. Hepatomegaly: Differential diagnosis and evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. When should cirrhosis be suspected? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Friedman LS. Approach to the patient with abnormal liver biochemical and function tests. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Woreta TA, et al. Evaluation of abnormal liver tests. Medical Clinics of North America. 2014;98:1.
- AskMayoExpert. What is magnetic resonance elastography (MRE) and what are the indications for an MRE examination? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Larson AM. Hepatotoxicity due to herbal medications and dietary supplements. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Viral hepatitis: A through E and beyond. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/viralhepatitis/index.aspx. Accessed March 25, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.