Sometimes, mild cases of lichen sclerosus cause no noticeable signs or symptoms.
When they do occur, lichen sclerosus symptoms may include:
- Itching (pruritus), which can be severe
- Discomfort or pain
- Smooth white spots on your skin
- Blotchy, wrinkled patches
- Easy bruising or tearing
- In severe cases, bleeding, blistering or ulcerated lesions
- Painful intercourse
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you have signs and symptoms common to lichen sclerosus.
If you've already been diagnosed with lichen sclerosus, see your doctor every six to 12 months to be checked for any skin changes or treatment side effects.
Sept. 03, 2015
- Ferri FF. Lichen sclerosus. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 12, 2015.
- Fistarol SK, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of lichen sclerosus. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2013;14:27.
- What is lichen sclerosus? National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Lichen_Sclerosus/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 12, 2015.
- Schlosser BJ, et al. Lichen sclerosus and lichen planus in women and girls. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015;58:125.
- Ofori AO, et al. What's new in dermatology? http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 6, 2015.
- Murphy R. Lichen sclerosus. Dermatology Clinics. 2010;28:707.
- Chi CC, et al. Topical interventions for genital lichen sclerosus. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008240.pub2/abstract. Accessed Aug. 7, 2015.
- Funaro D, et al. A double-blind, randomized prospective study evaluating topical clobetasol propionate 0.05% versus topical tacrolimus 0.1% in patients with vulvar lichen sclerosus. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;71:84.