CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
The exact cause of lichen sclerosus isn't known. An overactive immune system or an imbalance of hormones may play a role. Previous skin damage at a particular site on your skin may increase the likelihood of lichen sclerosus at that location.
Lichen sclerosus isn't contagious and cannot be spread through sexual intercourse.
Lichen sclerosus often occurs in postmenopausal women, but also in men and children. In women, lichen sclerosus usually involves the vulva. In boys and men, uncircumcised males are most at risk, because the condition generally affects the foreskin.
In children, the signs and symptoms may improve at puberty.
Sept. 03, 2015
- Ferri FF. Lichen sclerosus. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 12, 2015.
- Fistarol SK, et al. Diagnosis and treatment of lichen sclerosus. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2013;14:27.
- What is lichen sclerosus? National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/Lichen_Sclerosus/default.asp. Accessed Aug. 12, 2015.
- Schlosser BJ, et al. Lichen sclerosus and lichen planus in women and girls. Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015;58:125.
- Ofori AO, et al. What's new in dermatology? http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 6, 2015.
- Murphy R. Lichen sclerosus. Dermatology Clinics. 2010;28:707.
- Chi CC, et al. Topical interventions for genital lichen sclerosus. Cochrane Database Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008240.pub2/abstract. Accessed Aug. 7, 2015.
- Funaro D, et al. A double-blind, randomized prospective study evaluating topical clobetasol propionate 0.05% versus topical tacrolimus 0.1% in patients with vulvar lichen sclerosus. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;71:84.