Outbreaks of Legionnaire's disease are preventable, but prevention requires meticulous cleaning and disinfection of water systems, pools and spas.
Avoiding smoking is the single most important thing you can do to lower your risk of infection. Smoking increases the chances that you'll develop Legionnaires' disease if you're exposed to legionella bacteria.
Jan. 02, 2014
- Pedro-Botet ML, et al. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of Legionella infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Legionella (Legionnaires' disease and Pontiac fever). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/legionella/index.html. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Pedro-Botet ML, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of legionella infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 26, 2013.
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06839-3..X0001-X--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06839-3&uniqId=230100505-57. June 26, 2013.
- Pedro-Botet ML, et al. Treatment and prevention of legionella infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 26, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.