Although medications are available to reduce the symptoms of latex allergy, there is no cure for latex allergy. Treatment is based on prevention. The only way to prevent an allergic reaction is to avoid products that contain latex.
However, despite your best efforts to avoid latex, you may come into contact with it. If you've had a previous severe allergic reaction to latex, you may need to carry injectable epinephrine with you at all times. If you go into anaphylactic shock, you may need:
- An emergency injection of adrenaline (epinephrine)
- A trip to the emergency room
For less severe allergies, your doctor may prescribe antihistamines, which you can take after exposure to an allergen to control your reaction and help relieve discomfort. Creams may relieve skin reactions brought on by a latex allergy.
Nov. 16, 2011
- Hamilton RG. Latex allergy: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Hamilton RG. Latex allergy: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Latex (natural rubber) allergy in spina bifida. Spina Bifida Association. http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/site/pp.aspx?c=liKWL7PLLrF&b=2700271&printmode=1. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Latex allergy: A prevention guide. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-113/pdfs/98-113.pdf. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Latex allergy. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/allergies/Latex-Allergy.aspx. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Potential for sensitization and possible allergic reaction to natural rubber latex gloves and other natural rubber products. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib012808.html. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
- Spina bifida latex list. Spina Bifida Association. http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/atf/cf/%7BEED435C8-F1A0-4A16-B4D8-A713BBCD9CE4%7D/SBA-LatexList-2011%20English.pdf. Accessed Sept. 20, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.