Certain people are at greater risk of developing a latex allergy:
- People with spina bifida. The risk of latex allergy is highest in people with spina bifida — a birth defect that affects the development of the spine. People with this disorder often are exposed to latex products through early and frequent health care.
- People who undergo multiple surgeries or medical procedures. Repeated exposure to latex gloves increases your risk of developing latex allergy.
- Health care workers. If you work in health care, you're at increased risk of developing an allergy.
- Rubber industry workers. Repeated exposure to latex may increase sensitivity.
- People with a personal or family history of allergies. You're at increased risk of latex allergy if you have other allergies — such as hay fever or a food allergy — or they're common in your family.
Connection between food allergy and latex allergy
Latex allergy also is related to certain foods, such as avocados, bananas, chestnuts, kiwis and passion fruits. These foods contain some of the same allergens found in latex. If you're allergic to latex, you have a greater chance of also being allergic to these foods.
Oct. 14, 2014
- Hamilton RG. Latex allergy: Epidemiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Hamilton RG. Latex allergy: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- What you need to know about latex allergies. Spina Bifida Association. http://www.spinabifidaassociation.org/site/c.evKRI7OXIoJ8H/b.8031517/apps/s/content.asp?ct=12058863. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Latex allergy: A prevention guide. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-113/. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Latex allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/ALLERGIST/ALLERGIES/TYPES/LATEX-ALLERGY/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
- Anaphylaxis symptoms and reactions. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Anaphylaxis/Pages/anaphylaxis-symptoms.aspx. Accessed Aug. 8, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.