Klinefelter syndrome is a genetic condition that results when a boy is born with an extra copy of the X chromosome. Klinefelter syndrome is a common genetic condition affecting males, and it often isn't diagnosed until adulthood.
Klinefelter syndrome may adversely affect testicular growth, resulting in smaller than normal testicles, which can lead to lower production of testosterone. The syndrome may also cause reduced muscle mass, reduced body and facial hair, and enlarged breast tissue. The effects of Klinefelter syndrome vary, and not everyone has the same signs and symptoms.
Most men with Klinefelter syndrome produce little or no sperm, but assisted reproductive procedures may make it possible for some men with Klinefelter syndrome to father children.
Oct. 04, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. Klinefelter syndrome. Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- National Library of Medicine. Klinefelter syndrome. Genetics Home Reference. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/klinefelter-syndrome. Accessed May 17, 2016.
- Learning about Klinefelter syndrome. National Human Genome Research Institute. https://www.genome.gov/19519068/learning-about-klinefelter-syndrome/. Accessed May 17, 2016.
- Klinefelter syndrome. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/klinefelters-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed May 17, 2016.
- Klinefelter syndrome. National Organization for Rare Disorders. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/klinefelter-syndrome/. Accessed May 17, 2016.
- Klinefelter syndrome. Merck Manual Consumer Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/children's-health-issues/chromosomal-and-genetic-abnormalities/klinefelter-syndrome. Accessed May 17, 2016.
- Klinefelter syndrome (KS). Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/klinefelter/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed May 17, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Klinefelter's syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadephia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2016.