Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Changes in urine color can be alarming, but they're often harmless — the result of certain foods, supplements or medications.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
An intravenous pyelogram is an imaging exam that may be used to help diagnose urinary tract disorders.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Mar. 17, 2012
- Worcester EM, et al. Nephrolithiasis. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2008;35:369.
- Kidney stones in adults. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/index.htm. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Diet for kidney stone prevention. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/index.htm. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/177428112-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2012.
- Curhan GC, et al. Diagnosis and acute management of suspected nephrolithiasis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2012.
- Preminger GM, et al. The first kidney stone and asymptomatic nephrolithiasis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 27, 2012.
- Humphreys MR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Ariz. Feb. 20, 2012.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 8, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.