The Department of Urology at Mayo Clinic has long been at the forefront of the search for better ways to diagnose and treat kidney stones. Mayo Clinic developed many of the tools now regularly used during surgery to remove very large stones in the kidney (percutaneous nephrolithotomy). Mayo Clinic urologists were among the first to perform ureteroscopic stone removal and were instrumental in refining and improving the procedure.
Mayo Clinic urologists and nephrologists also conduct clinical trials to help evaluate and refine new technologies. Their depth of expertise makes Mayo Clinic a leader in clinical research on what causes kidney stones to form, how best to diagnose them, cutting-edge treatment options and prevention.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on kidney stones on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Mar. 17, 2012
- Worcester EM, et al. Nephrolithiasis. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2008;35:369.
- Kidney stones in adults. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/stonesadults/index.htm. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Diet for kidney stone prevention. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kidneystonediet/index.htm. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/177428112-2/0/1494/0.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2012.
- Curhan GC, et al. Diagnosis and acute management of suspected nephrolithiasis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 26, 2012.
- Preminger GM, et al. The first kidney stone and asymptomatic nephrolithiasis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 27, 2012.
- Humphreys MR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Ariz. Feb. 20, 2012.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 8, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.