Signs and symptoms of a kidney infection may include:
- Back, side (flank) or groin pain
- Abdominal pain
- Frequent urination
- Strong, persistent urge to urinate
- Burning sensation or pain when urinating
- Pus or blood in your urine (hematuria)
- Urine that smells bad or is cloudy
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have any signs or symptoms that worry you. Also make an appointment if you're being treated for a urinary tract infection but your signs and symptoms aren't improving.
Severe kidney infection can lead to life-threatening complications. Seek immediate medical attention if you experience typical kidney infection symptoms combined with bloody urine or nausea and vomiting.
Aug. 16, 2014
- Pyelonephritis: Kidney infection. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/pyelonephritis/. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Urinary tract infections in adults. Urology Care Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=47. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 28, 2014.
- Urinary tract infections in adults. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/utiadult/index.aspx. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ050. Urinary tract infections. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq050.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20140523T1534363926. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Hooton TM, et al. Acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.