Acute kidney failure occurs when your kidneys suddenly become unable to filter waste products from your blood. When your kidneys lose their filtering ability, dangerous levels of wastes may accumulate and your blood's chemical makeup may get out of balance.
Acute kidney failure — also called acute renal failure or acute kidney injury — develops rapidly over a few hours or a few days. Acute kidney failure is most common in people who are already hospitalized, particularly in critically ill people who need intensive care.
Acute kidney failure can be fatal and requires intensive treatment. However, acute kidney failure may be reversible. If you're otherwise in good health, you may recover normal kidney function.
Jul. 06, 2012
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191371208-2/0/1492/0.html#. Accessed May 29, 2012.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0986-5..C2009-0-38984-9--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0986-5&about=true&uniqId=236797353-5. Accessed May 29, 2012.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2012: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05611-3..C2009-0-38601-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05611-3&uniqId=291436269-101. Accessed May 29, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 29, 2012.
- Acute kidney injury nutrition therapy. Nutrition Care Manual. American Dietetic Association. http://nutritioncaremanual.org/index.cfm. Accessed May 29, 2012.
- Reclast (zoledronic acid): Drug Safety Communication - New contraindication and updated warning on kidney impairment. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm270199.htm. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- Reclast (prescribing information). East Hanover, N.J.: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp.; 2011. http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/reclast.pdf. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- Zometa (prescribing information). East Hanover, N.J.: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp.; 2011. http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/Zometa.pdf. Accessed May 31, 2012.
- Eat right to feel right on hemodialysis. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/eatright/index.aspx. Accessed June 13, 2012.
- Albright RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 11, 2012.