Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Fibromuscular dysplasia is a rare, but treatable, condition in which the arteries to your kidneys, brain or abdomen narrow, reducing blood flow to your organs.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
A kidney biopsy — removing a small piece of kidney tissue for viewing under a microscope — helps with diagnosis and treatment of kidney problems.
If you or a loved one has a serious illness, palliative care might be an option. Understand the benefits of palliative care.
During peritoneal dialysis, a fluid flows into your abdominal cavity where it draws wastes from blood vessels in your abdominal wall. The fluid is then withdrawn and discarded.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Jan. 30, 2015
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 1, 2013.
- About chronic kidney disease: A guide for patients and their families. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/aboutckd.cfm. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Coping effectively: A guide to living well with kidney failure. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/coping_effectively_guide.cfm. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Kidney failure: Choosing a treatment that's right for you. National Kidney & Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/choosingtreatment/index.aspx. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Kidney disease and diet. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. http://www.eatright.org/Public/content.aspx?id=4294967540. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- The kidneys and how they work. National Kidney & Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- El-Zoghby ZM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 25, 2013.
- Hickson LJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 9, 2013.
- Rethinking drinking: Alcohol and your health. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/RethinkingDrinking/Rethinking_Drinking.pdf. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Dietary guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm. Accessed Nov. 5, 2013.
- Post R (expert opinion). U.S. Department of Agriculture, Alexandria, Va. Aug. 8, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.