Risk factorsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
The risk of having simple kidney cysts increases as you get older, though they can occur at any age. Simple kidney cysts are more common in men.
June 30, 2015
- Bennett WM, et al. Simple and complex renal cysts in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Benign renal tumors. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/kidney-disease/kidney-cysts/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Bas O, et al. Management of renal cysts. Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons. 2015;19:e2014.00097.
- AskMayoExpert. Renal cysts. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/Simple-Kidney-Cysts. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Albright RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 26, 2015.