A simple kidney cyst discovered during an imaging test for another disease or condition may cause concern about what it means for your health. Talking with your doctor about simple kidney cysts may put your mind at ease and help you feel more in control of your condition.
What you can do
Before your next appointment, prepare a list of questions for your doctor. Consider asking:
- How big is my kidney cyst?
- Is my kidney cyst new or has it been visible on other scans?
- Is my kidney cyst likely to grow?
- Can my kidney cyst hurt my kidney?
- I have these unexplained symptoms. Could they be caused by a kidney cyst?
- Does my kidney cyst need to be removed?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the potential risks of each treatment option?
- What signs or symptoms may indicate my kidney cyst is growing?
- Should I see a specialist?
- Are there any restrictions that I need to follow?
- Do you have any printed material that I can take with me? What websites do you recommend?
- Will I need a follow-up visit?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions as they occur to you during your appointment.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, such as:
July 18, 2012
- Do you have any symptoms?
- If so, how long have you experienced symptoms?
- Have your symptoms gotten worse over time?
- Do you have any blood in your urine?
- Have you had pain in your back or sides?
- Have you had a fever or chills?
- Do you have any other medical conditions?
- What medications, vitamins or supplements do you take?
- Taal MW, et al. Brenner & Rector's The Kidney. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6193-9..C2010-1-67932-1--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6193-9&uniqId=321553651-265. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed June 11, 2012.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/cysts/index.htm. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Eknoyan G. A clinical view of simple and complex renal cysts. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2009;20:1874.
- Tanagho EA, et al. Smith's General Urology. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=21. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Skolarikos A, et al. Conservative and radiological management of simple renal cysts: A comprehensive review. British Journal of Urology International. In press. Accessed June 13, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.