Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic Staff
A simple kidney cyst discovered during an imaging test for another disease or condition may concern you. Talk with your doctor about what having a simple kidney cyst means for your health. Gathering information may put your mind at ease and help you feel more in control of your situation.
What you can do
Before meeting with your doctor, prepare a list of questions to ask, such as:
- How big is the kidney cyst?
- Is the kidney cyst new or has it been visible on other scans?
- Is the kidney cyst likely to grow?
- Can the kidney cyst hurt my kidney?
- I have these unexplained symptoms. Could they be caused by a kidney cyst?
- Does the kidney cyst need to be removed?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the potential risks of each treatment option?
- What signs or symptoms may indicate the kidney cyst is growing?
- Should I see a specialist?
- Are there any restrictions that I need to follow?
- Do you have any printed material that I can take with me? What websites do you recommend?
- Will I need a follow-up visit?
Don't hesitate to ask other questions as they occur to you during your appointment.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, such as:
June 30, 2015
- Do you have any symptoms?
- If so, how long have you experienced symptoms?
- Have your symptoms gotten worse over time?
- Do you have any blood in your urine?
- Have you had pain in your back or sides?
- Have you had a fever or chills?
- Do you have any other medical conditions?
- What medications, vitamins or supplements do you take?
- Bennett WM, et al. Simple and complex renal cysts in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Benign renal tumors. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/kidney-disease/kidney-cysts/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Bas O, et al. Management of renal cysts. Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons. 2015;19:e2014.00097.
- AskMayoExpert. Renal cysts. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Simple kidney cysts. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/Simple-Kidney-Cysts. Accessed May 15, 2015.
- Albright RC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 26, 2015.