Self-help measures won't cure keratosis pilaris, but they can help improve the appearance of your skin. You may find these measures beneficial:
Jan. 08, 2013
- Go easy on your skin. Vigorous scrubbing or removal of the plugs may irritate your skin and aggravate the condition.
- Gently dry off. After washing or bathing, gently pat or blot your skin dry with a towel so that some moisture remains on the skin.
- Use a moisturizing lotion or lubricating cream. While your skin is still moist from bathing, apply a moisturizer that contains lanolin (Lansinoh, Medela), petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or glycerin (Glysolid), ingredients that soothe dry skin and help trap moisture.
- Try urea or lactic acid. Apply an over-the-counter product that contains urea (Nutraplus, Eucerin) or lactic acid (AmLactin, Lac-hydrin) twice daily. Both help remove extra keratin from the surface of the skin.
- Use a humidifier. A portable home humidifier or one attached to your furnace will add moisture to the air inside your home.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov.10, 2012.
- Keratosis pilaris. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/keratosis_pilaris.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2012.
- Keratosis pilaris. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/dermatologic_disorders/cornification_disorders/keratosis_pilaris.html. Accessed Nov. 10, 2012.
- Castela E, et al. Papular, profuse, and precocious keratosis pilaris. Pediatric Dermatology. 2012;29:285.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology.6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=45. Accessed Nov. 11, 2012.
- Gonzalez JA, et al. Keratosis pilaris rubra and keratosis pilaris atrophicans faciei treated with pulsed dye laser: Report of 10 cases. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2011;25:710.
- Dermatologists' top 10 tips for relieving dry skin. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/winter_skin.html. Accessed Nov.12, 2012.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 26, 2012.
- Tretinoin. Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.