Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If your pediatrician or family doctor suspects that your child has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in arthritis (rheumatologist) to confirm the diagnosis and explore treatment.

What you can do

Before the appointment, you might want to write a list that includes:

  • Detailed descriptions of your child's symptoms
  • Information about medical problems your child has had in the past
  • Information about the medical problems that tend to run in your family
  • All the medications and dietary supplements your child takes
  • Questions you want to ask the doctor

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:

  • Which joints appear to be affected?
  • When did the symptoms begin? Do they seem to come and go?
  • Does anything make the symptoms better or worse?
  • Is the joint stiffness worse after a period of rest?
Oct. 17, 2014