Because many of the signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia are similar to other disorders, you may see several doctors before receiving a diagnosis. Your family physician may refer you to a doctor who specializes in the treatment of arthritis and other inflammatory conditions (rheumatologist).
What you can do
Before your appointment, you may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had in the past
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
In addition to a physical exam, your doctor will probably ask you if you have problems sleeping and if you've been feeling depressed or anxious.
April 29, 2014
- Fibromyalgia. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Fibromyalgia/default.asp. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- Clauw DJ, et al. The science of fibromyalgia. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:907.
- Arnold LM, et al. A framework for fibromyalgia management for primary care providers. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:488.
- Goldenberg DL. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Fibromyalgia and myofascial pain. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Vincent A, et al. Prevalence of fibromyalgia: A population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota, utilizing the Rochester Epidemiology Project. Arthritis Care & Research. 2013;65:786.
- Goldenberg DL. Pathogenesis of fibromyalgia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- Goldenberg DL. Treatment of fibromyalgia in adults not responsive to initial therapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- Yunus MB, et al. Juvenile primary fibromyalgia syndrome. A clinical study of thirty-three patients and matched normal controls. Arthritis & Rheumatology. 1985;28:138.
- McLeod JD. Juvenile fibromyalgia syndrome and improved recognition by pediatric primary care providers. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2014;28:e9.
- Kashikar-Zuck S, et al. Juvenile fibromyalgia: Current status of research and future developments. Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2014;10:89.
- Kashikar-Zuck S, et al. Long-term outcomes of adolescents with juvenile-onset fibromyalgia in early adulthood. Pediatrics. 2014;133:e592.
- Kimura Y, et al. Fibromyalgia in children and adolescents: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2014.
- Kimura Y, et al. Fibromyalgia in children and adolescents: Treatment and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2014.