Fibromyalgia is a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep and mood issues. Researchers believe that fibromyalgia amplifies painful sensations by affecting the way your brain processes pain signals.
Fibromyalgia is commonly thought of as a condition that affects adults. However, fibromyalgia also occurs in children and adolescents. Estimates suggest that juvenile-onset fibromyalgia affects 2 to 6 percent of school children, mostly adolescent girls. It is most commonly diagnosed between ages 13 and 15.
April 29, 2014
- Fibromyalgia. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Fibromyalgia/default.asp. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- Clauw DJ, et al. The science of fibromyalgia. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2011;86:907.
- Arnold LM, et al. A framework for fibromyalgia management for primary care providers. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2012;87:488.
- Goldenberg DL. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of fibromyalgia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Fibromyalgia and myofascial pain. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Vincent A, et al. Prevalence of fibromyalgia: A population-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota, utilizing the Rochester Epidemiology Project. Arthritis Care & Research. 2013;65:786.
- Goldenberg DL. Pathogenesis of fibromyalgia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- Goldenberg DL. Treatment of fibromyalgia in adults not responsive to initial therapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 8, 2014.
- Yunus MB, et al. Juvenile primary fibromyalgia syndrome. A clinical study of thirty-three patients and matched normal controls. Arthritis & Rheumatology. 1985;28:138.
- McLeod JD. Juvenile fibromyalgia syndrome and improved recognition by pediatric primary care providers. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. 2014;28:e9.
- Kashikar-Zuck S, et al. Juvenile fibromyalgia: Current status of research and future developments. Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2014;10:89.
- Kashikar-Zuck S, et al. Long-term outcomes of adolescents with juvenile-onset fibromyalgia in early adulthood. Pediatrics. 2014;133:e592.
- Kimura Y, et al. Fibromyalgia in children and adolescents: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2014.
- Kimura Y, et al. Fibromyalgia in children and adolescents: Treatment and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 4, 2014.