The organisms that cause jock itch thrive in damp, close environments. Warm, humid settings that promote heavy sweating — thus washing away fungus-killing oils, making the skin more permeable and more prone to infection — favor its spread.
You're at greater risk of jock itch if you:
Aug. 17, 2013
- Are a man, although women can also get the condition
- Wear tight underwear or athletic supporters that aren't washed after each use
- Are obese
- Sweat heavily
- Have an impaired immune system
- Have atopic dermatitis, a chronic, inherited skin disease characterized by itchy, inflamed skin
- Dermatophytes. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/fungal/dermatophytes. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Goldstein AO, et al. Dermatophyte (tinea) infections. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-7234-3541-9..X0001-6--TOP&isbn=978-0-7234-3541-9&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed May 24, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 24, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.