Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Treatments and drugs
Light therapy can improve symptoms related to seasonal affective disorder and several other conditions. Here's why and how it's used.
Aug. 01, 2015
- Weir RE. Jet lag and shift work. Sleep Medicine Clinic. 2014;9:561.
- Herxheimer A. Jet lag. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 24, 2015.
- Kryger MH, et al. Shift work, shift-work disorder and jet lag. In: Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine. 5th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier Saunders; 2011. https://expertconsult.inkling.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Sleep disorders. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 24, 2015.
- Weingarten JA. Air travel. Chest. 2013;144:1394.
- Jet lag. American Academy of Sleep Medicine. http://www.sleepeducation.com/essentials-in-sleep/jet-lag. Accessed June 27, 2015.
- Sack RL. Jet lag. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2010;362:440.
- Sateia M. Jet lag disorder. In: International Classification of Sleep Disorders. 3rd ed. Darien, Ill.: American Academy of Sleep Medicine; 2014. http://www.aasmnet.org/EBooks/ICSD3. Accessed July 6, 2015.