In most cases, jellyfish stings don't cause long-term complications.


Some people experience a delayed hypersensitivity — an allergy-like reaction to the venom — that may produce blisters, rash or other skin irritations a week or more after the jellyfish sting.

Others who are highly sensitive to jellyfish venom can develop a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) on exposure to jellyfish. A flood of chemicals released by your immune system during anaphylaxis can cause you to go into shock. Your blood pressure drops suddenly, and the narrowing of airways block normal breathing.

Rare complications

In rare cases jellyfish stings can cause:

  • Infection
  • Scarring
Sep. 01, 2011

You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic

Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.