Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Oct. 10, 2012
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed July 19, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What diagnostic studies should be performed in patients with ischemic colitis? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Feuerstadt P, et al. Colon ischemia: Recent insights and advances. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2010;12:383.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..C2009-0-42832-0--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&uniqId=327451096-2. Accessed June 19, 2012.
- Theodoropoulou A, et al. Ischemic colitis: Clinical practice in diagnosis and treatment. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2008;14:7302.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 28, 2012.
- Paterno F, et al. Ischemic colitis: Risk factors for eventual surgery. American Journal of Surgery. 2010;200:646.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.