PreventionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Since the cause of ischemic colitis isn't always clear, there's no certain way to prevent the disorder. Most people who have ischemic colitis recover quickly and may never have another episode.
To prevent recurrent episodes of ischemic colitis, your doctor may recommend eliminating any medication that might cause ischemic colitis. He or she may also test for clotting abnormalities, especially if no other cause for ischemic colitis was apparent.
Oct. 13, 2015
- Brandt LJ, et al. ACG clinical guideline: Epidemiology, risk factors, patterns of presentation, diagnosis, and management of colon ischemia (CI). American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2015;110:18.
- Grubel P, et al. Colonic ischemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 27, 2015.
- Navid K, et al. Ischemic colitis. Hospital Medicine Clinics. 2015;4:216.
- Yaddav S, et al. A population-based study of incidence, risk factors, clinical spectrum, and outcomes of ischemic colitis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2015;13:731.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. July 29, 2015.