Make an appointment with a doctor who specializes in eye care — an optometrist or an ophthalmologist — who can evaluate iritis and perform a complete eye exam.
What you can do
Make the best use of time with your doctor by preparing for your visit.
- Write down your symptoms, including any that may seem unrelated to your vision problem.
- Make a list of all medications, vitamins or supplements you're taking.
- Ask a family member or friend to accompany you. Having your pupils dilated for the eye exam will affect your vision for a time afterward. You may need someone to drive or accompany you after your appointment.
Questions to ask your eye doctor
- Can iritis permanently affect my vision?
- Do I need to come back for follow-up exams? When?
- What should I do if my symptoms don't go away or seem to worsen?
Questions your eye doctor may ask
Feb. 14, 2014
- When did you first notice symptoms?
- Are symptoms present in one or both eyes?
- Do you feel pain in your eye after touching your eyelid?
- Do you have headaches?
- Does bright light worsen your eye pain?
- Is your vision blurred?
- Do you have trouble with near or distance vision?
- Have you recently had an injury or other trauma to your eye?
- Have you recently been ill?
- Do you have symptoms of arthritis, such as joint pain?
- Do you have sores in your mouth or on your genitals?
- Have you been diagnosed with iritis before?
- Have you been diagnosed with other eye conditions?
- Rosenbaum JT. Uveitis: Etiology, clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 9, 2013.
- Rosenbaum JT. Uveitis: Treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 9, 2013.
- Riordan-Eva P, et al. Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=720. Accessed Sept. 9, 2013.
- Care of the patient with anterior uveitis. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/search?q=iritis&site=AOA_org&client=AOAorg&filter=0&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&output=xml_no_dtd&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&entqr=3&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&searchpage=search. Accessed Sept. 9, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.