What can mindfulness exercises do for you? Get the facts.
Tests and diagnosis
After detecting a suspicious breast lump, your doctor recommends a breast biopsy. Find out what's involved in the procedure.
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Mammography can lead to detection of breast cancer at its earliest and most treatable stage.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Sentinel node biopsy is a procedure used to determine if cancer has spread to your lymph nodes.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
Find out what to expect as you prepare for chemotherapy treatment.
Lumpectomy, surgery to remove a breast tumor, is a treatment option for some early-stage breast cancers.
Mastectomy — surgical removal of all breast tissue in one or both breasts — is an effective treatment for many types of breast cancer.
Radiation therapy is a common means of treating many types of cancer. Find out what to expect during your radiation therapy treatment.
May. 22, 2012
- Rakha EA, et al. Lobular breast carcinoma and its variants. Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology. 2010;27:49.
- Chen WY. Postmenopausal hormone therapy and breast cancer risk: Current status and unanswered questions. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2011;40:509.
- Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1709/0.html. Accessed April 24, 2012.
- Breast cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed April 24, 2012.
- Biglia N, et al. Increased incidence of lobular breast cancer in women treated with hormone replacement therapy: Implications for diagnosis, surgical and medical treatment. Endocrine-Related Cancer. 2007;14:549.
- Schrader KA, et al. Hereditary diffuse gastric cancer: Association with lobular breast cancer. Familial Cancer. 2008;7:73.
- Breast cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/breast/healthprofessional. Accessed April 24, 2012.
- Breast cancer prevention (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/prevention/breast/healthprofessional. Accessed April 24, 2012.
- Avis NE. Breast cancer survivors and hot flashes: The search for nonhormonal treatments. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2008;26:5008.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 7, 2012.