CausesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
It's not clear what causes invasive lobular carcinoma.
How invasive lobular carcinoma forms
Doctors know that invasive lobular carcinoma begins when cells in one or more milk-producing glands of the breast develop mutations in their DNA. The mutations lead to the inability to control cell growth, which results in the cells dividing and growing rapidly. Depending on the aggressiveness of the cancer type, the cancer cells can spread to other parts of the body.
Lobular carcinoma cells tend to invade surrounding breast tissue in a starlike manner. The affected area may have a different feel from the surrounding breast tissue, more like a thickening and fullness, but it's unlikely to feel like a lump.
May 14, 2015
- Bleiweiss IJ. Pathology of breast cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 10, 2015.
- Dabbs DJ. Breast Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Niederhuber JE, et al, eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Breast cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Chan AOO, et al. Risk factors for gastric cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 10, 2015.
- Hot flashes and night sweats (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/supportivecare/sweatsandhotflashes/HealthProfessional. Accessed Jan. 10, 2015.
- Breast cancer treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/breast/healthprofessional. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Breast cancer prevention (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/prevention/breast/healthprofessional. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Morrow PK, et al. Hot flashes: A review of pathophysiology and treatment modalities. Oncologist. 2011;16:1658.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 28, 2015.
- Moynihan TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 30, 2015.