Intestinal obstruction is usually a medical emergency. As a result, you may not have much time to prepare for an appointment. If you have time before your appointment, make a list of your signs and symptoms so that you can better answer your doctor's questions.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions, including:
Dec. 18, 2012
- When did you begin experiencing abdominal pain or other symptoms?
- Did your symptoms come on all of a sudden or have you had symptoms like these before?
- Is your pain continuous?
- Have you experienced nausea, vomiting, fever, blood in your stool, diarrhea or constipation?
- Have you had surgery on your abdomen?
- Have you had radiation to your abdomen?
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Oct. 22, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Oct. 22, 2012.
- Bonin EA, et al. Update on the indications and use of colonic stents. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2010;12:374.
- Baron TH. Acute colonic obstruction. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 2007;17:323.
- Intestinal pseudo-obstruction. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/diseases/pubs/intestinalpo/index.htm. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
- Abdominal adhesions. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/diseases/pubs/intestinaladhesions/index.htm. Accessed Oct. 21, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.