Your family doctor or a foot doctor (podiatrist) can diagnose an ingrown toenail. Prepare a list of questions to ask your doctor during your appointment. Some basic questions include:
- Is my condition temporary or long term (chronic)?
- What are my treatment options and the pros and cons of each?
- What results can I expect?
- Can I wait to see if the condition goes away on its own?
- What nail care routine do you recommend while my toe heals?
Your doctor is likely to ask you questions such as:
- When did you begin experiencing symptoms?
- Do you have the symptoms all the time?
- What at-home treatments have you used?
- Do you have diabetes or another condition that causes poor blood flow to your legs or feet?