To release ingrown hairs, you can:
Mar. 13, 2015
- Wash the affected area using a washcloth or soft-bristled toothbrush. Use a circular motion for several minutes. Do this before shaving and at bedtime.
- Use a sterile needle, inserting it under hair loops, to gently lift embedded hair tips.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary. 32nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: W.B. Saunders; 2011. http://www.dorlands.com/index.jsp. Accessed Jan. 27, 2015.
- Pseudofolliculitis barbae. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec10/ch124/ch124d.html. Accessed Dec. 5, 2014.
- Goldstein BG, et al. Pseudofolliculitis barbae. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2015.
- Alexis A, et al. Folliculitis keloidalis nuchae and pseudofolliculitis barbae: Are prevention and effective treatment within reach? Dermatologic Clinics. 2014;32:183.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.