Coping and support
Lifestyle and home remedies
Preparing for your appointment
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 09, 2017
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Inflammatory bowel disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- What is inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/ibd/what-is-IBD.htm. Accessed July 7, 2017.
- Overview of inflammatory bowel disease. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/inflammatory-bowel-disease-ibd/overview-of-inflammatory-bowel-disease. Accessed July 7, 2017.
- IBD overview. American College of Gastroenterology. http://patients.gi.org/topics/inflammatory-bowel-disease/#tabs2. Accessed July 7, 2017.
- IBD 101: What is inflammatory bowel disease? American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/info_for_patients/ibd-101-what-is-inflammatory-bowel-disease. Accessed July 7, 2017.
- Peppercorn MA, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and prognosis of ulcerative colitis in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed July 7, 2017.
- What is colorectal cancer screening? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Ulcerative colitis. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Inflammatory bowel disease. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. https://www.womenshealth.gov/a-z-topics/inflammatory-bowel-disease. Accessed July 7, 2017.
- The role of endoscopy in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2015;81:1101.
- Ulcerative colitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/ulcerative-colitis. Accessed June 20, 2017.
- Diet, nutrition, and inflammatory bowel disease. Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/. Accessed May 15, 2017.
- Inflammatory bowel disease. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Crohn's & Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/complementary-alternative.html. Accessed June 21, 2017.
- Yanai H, et al. Complementary therapies in inflammatory bowel diseases. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2016;18:62.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 17, 2017.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 14, 2017.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)