Germs. Learn how germs work and what you can do to protect yourself.
Wonder about the benefits and risks of childhood vaccines? Get answers to your questions.
Childhood vaccines offer protection from serious and potentially fatal diseases. Use this guide to keep your child's shots on track.
Want to avoid illness? Wash your hands! Consider simple hand-washing tips.
Do school days and sick days seem to go hand in hand? Help your child avoid the latest classroom bug with these simple tips.
Vaccines offer protection from infectious diseases. Get the facts on which vaccines are recommended for adults.
Treatments and drugs
Antibiotics can save lives. Used inappropriately, however, they may cause more harm than good.
Jan. 23, 2013
- Understanding microbes in sickness and in health. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/microbes/documents/microbesbook.pdf. Accessed Oct. 8, 2012.
- Long SS, et al. Long: Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-2702-9..C2009-0-41480-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-2702-9&uniqId=372964036-9. Accessed Oct. 8, 2012.
- Facts about infectious diseases. Infectious Diseases Society of America. http://www.idsociety.org/Facts_About_ID/#. Accessed Oct. 8, 2012.
- Escherichia coli infections. World Health Organization. http://www.emro.who.int/health-topics/escherichia-coli-infections/. Accessed Oct. 10, 2012.
- De Martel C, et al. Global burden of cancers attributable to infections in 2008: A review and synthetic analysis. The Lancet Oncology. 2012;13:607.
- Personal prevention of MRSA skin infections. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/prevent/personal.html. Accessed Oct. 10, 2012.
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2006/clinical.htm. Accessed Oct. 10, 2012.