Mayo Clinic researchers are working to develop improved treatments for functional dyspepsia. Mayo doctors are conducting a clinical trial of the use of antidepressant therapy to treat functional dyspepsia.
Researchers in the Enteric Neuroscience Program are studying the underlying mechanics of the digestive system, including nerve reflexes between the stomach and brain. Other areas of research include use of novel medications to reduce stomach sensitivity and the genetics of dyspepsia.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on dyspepsia on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
May 01, 2013
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the recommended work-up for a patient with dyspepsia? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Indigestion. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/indigestion/index.aspx. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourcetoc.aspx?resourceid=1. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- Dyspepsia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/gastrointestinal_disorders/approach_to_the_patient_with_upper_gi_complaints/dyspepsia.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2013.
- Lacy BE, et al. Review article: Current treatment options and management of functional dyspepsia. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2012;36:3.
- Camilleri M, et al. Current management strategies and emerging treatments for functional dyspepsia. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. In press. Accessed Feb. 26, 2013.
- Zeng F, et al. Influence of acupuncture treatment on cerebral activity in functional dyspepsia patients and its relationship with efficacy. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2012;107:1236.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.