Although indigestion doesn't usually have serious complications, it can affect your quality of life by making you feel uncomfortable and causing you to eat less. When indigestion is caused by an underlying condition, that condition can also have its own complications.
May. 01, 2013
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the recommended work-up for a patient with dyspepsia? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Indigestion. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/indigestion/index.aspx. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourcetoc.aspx?resourceid=1. Accessed Feb. 25, 2013.
- Dyspepsia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/gastrointestinal_disorders/approach_to_the_patient_with_upper_gi_complaints/dyspepsia.html. Accessed Feb. 26, 2013.
- Lacy BE, et al. Review article: Current treatment options and management of functional dyspepsia. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2012;36:3.
- Camilleri M, et al. Current management strategies and emerging treatments for functional dyspepsia. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology. In press. Accessed Feb. 26, 2013.
- Zeng F, et al. Influence of acupuncture treatment on cerebral activity in functional dyspepsia patients and its relationship with efficacy. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2012;107:1236.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.