PreventionBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Little is known about how to prevent illness anxiety disorder, but these suggestions may help.
July 02, 2015
- If you have problems with anxiety, seek professional advice as soon as possible to help stop symptoms from getting worse and impairing your quality of life.
- Learn to recognize when you're stressed and how this affects your body — and regularly practice stress management and relaxation techniques.
- Stick with your treatment plan to help prevent relapses or worsening of symptoms.
- Illness anxiety disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed May 14, 2015.
- Levenson JL. Hypochondriasis: Epidemiology, clinical presentation, assessment, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 14, 2015.
- Levenson JL. Hypochondriasis: Treatment and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 14, 2015.
- Illness anxiety disorder. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric-disorders/somatic-symptom-and-related-disorders/illness-anxiety-disorder. Accessed May 16, 2015.
- Singh K, et al. From headache to tumour: An examination of health anxiety, health-related Internet use and 'query escalation.' Journal of Health Psychology. In press. Accessed May 16, 2015.
- Isaac ML, et al. Medically unexplained symptoms. Medical Clinics of North America. 2014;98:663.
- Starcevic V. Hypochondriasis and health anxiety: Conceptual challenges. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2013;202:7.
- Health anxiety (hypochondria). NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypochondria/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed May 16, 2015.
- Stonnington CM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. June 13, 2015.
- Craner JR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 12, 2015.
- Sawchuk CN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 12, 2015.