Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic treats about 700 people who have IgA nephropathy. Because of the large number of people seen, Mayo Clinic kidney specialists (nephrologists) and radiologists are expert at performing kidney biopsies and have an outstanding safety record with low levels of complications.
Expertise. The large number of nephrologists at Mayo Clinic allows some doctors to subspecialize in specific aspects of kidney medicine, including glomerular conditions such as IgA nephropathy. These specialists have the skills and experience to quickly and accurately identify the cause of your problem.
Latest techniques. Mayo Clinic is one of the few centers to specialize in iothalamate clearance testing, which uses a special contrast agent to track how well your kidneys are filtering wastes. Mayo's dedicated Renal Biopsy Laboratory uses the latest techniques.
Teamwork. Specialists from nephrology, hypertension and pathology work as a team in the diagnosis and treatment of people with IgA nephropathy. They also work with your local doctor to coordinate follow-up care.
New ideas. Mayo is active in research to better understand IgA nephropathy and to test new therapies for this condition through the Mayo Nephrology Collaborative Group. You may have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials of experimental treatments.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for kidney disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., ranks among the Best Hospitals for kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for kidney disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
April 19, 2013
IgA nephropathy. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/iganephropathy/. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Nephrotic syndrome. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec17/ch235/ch235b.html. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Barratt J, et al. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of IgA nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Barratt J, et al. Pathogenesis of IgA nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2013.
- Cattran DC, et al. Treatment and prognosis of IgA nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Lv J, et al. Corticosteroid therapy in IgA nephropathy. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:1108.
- IgA nephropathy. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/iganeph.cfm. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Your guide to lowering blood pressure. National Institutes of Health. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/hbp_low/index.htm. Accessed March 16, 2013.
- Miller HL. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 8, 2013.
- PEERS Lending Support. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/patients/peers/index.cfm. Accessed March 16, 2013.
- Fervenza FC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2013.