IgA nephropathy is often detected after you notice blood in your urine or when a routine test shows you have protein or blood in your urine. These could be signs of several types of kidney disease. To identify your problem, these tests may be performed:
Apr. 19, 2013
- Urine test. Blood or protein in the urine may be the first sign of IgA nephropathy. This may be discovered as part of a routine checkup. If your doctor suspects that you have problems with your kidneys, you may need to collect your urine for a 24-hour period for additional kidney function tests.
- Blood tests. If you have kidney disease, such as IgA nephropathy, a blood test may show increased blood levels of the waste product creatinine.
- Iothalamate clearance test. Your doctor may also recommend an iothalamate clearance test, which uses a special contrast agent to track how well your kidneys are filtering wastes.
- Kidney imaging. Ultrasound or X-rays also may be used to evaluate the shape or size of your kidneys. A cystoscopy can rule out other causes of bleeding in the urinary tract.
- Kidney biopsy. The only way for your doctor to confirm a diagnosis of IgA nephropathy is with a kidney biopsy. This procedure involves using a special biopsy needle to extract small pieces of kidney tissue for microscopic examination to determine if there are IgA deposits in the glomeruli.
IgA nephropathy. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/iganephropathy/. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Nephrotic syndrome. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec17/ch235/ch235b.html. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Barratt J, et al. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of IgA nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Barratt J, et al. Pathogenesis of IgA nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2013.
- Cattran DC, et al. Treatment and prognosis of IgA nephropathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Lv J, et al. Corticosteroid therapy in IgA nephropathy. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2012;23:1108.
- IgA nephropathy. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/iganeph.cfm. Accessed March 15, 2013.
- Your guide to lowering blood pressure. National Institutes of Health. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/hbp_low/index.htm. Accessed March 16, 2013.
- Miller HL. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 8, 2013.
- PEERS Lending Support. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/patients/peers/index.cfm. Accessed March 16, 2013.
- Fervenza FC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 18, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.